Drowners: 16 hours in Berlin

Sonntag, 30. Oktober 2016


Hello friends, today is the day. Well yesterday (October 25) was the day of the day. I finally saw Drowners live and I don't want to give too much away already, so just let's get started with the little diary.
10:59 - Into the train to Dresden. My throat hurts and i'm a snotty mess, no tissues included. What a time. As you can see I continued to read Stephen King's The Stand and had my tea and 2000 of these weird eucalyptus sweets.

13:03 - In Dresden and it feels like home. Serisouly love this city with all my heart. But now it means waiting. Waiting for a whole hour for my bus that will bring me to Berlin. Was obviously bored and also nervous for tonight.

14:05 - Sitting in the bus. It's pretty clean and also weirdly cozy, never thought that a bus could be cozy tbh with you. P.S. driver is nice too! Spending the hours with listening to some music, trying to read the Cosmo and falling asleep every ten minutes.

17:10 - Hi Berlin, long time no see! Let's try to find my Hostel shall we? This is going to be nuts. The Underground is already complicated and dangerous and i'm not enjoying finding my way through the city. The best way to survive this city: Ask people. Everyone is nice, but even some (who are born in Berlin and live there) have no clue where the heck to send you to get to the right bus! WTF Berlin, get it together. 

18: something - In the Hostel, everything is paid, nice room with a creepy closet. No time to eat or even take a breath because the concert is starting soon and i am already shitting my pants. I stay at "Die Fabrik" or also known as the baxpax Hostel in Kreuzberg. Everything is quite perfect, the room is clean and you even have free wifi.

18: something - On my way to the club, totally lost, not gonna lie. Why is this city so complicated? I swear to god if Drowners don't come to Dresden the next time then i'm going to.... let's take a small breath. I'm a wrack and a sweaty ball of grease, but eyeliner is on point.
Finally found my station tho.

19: something - Found the club, standing in front of it among giggling girls. Fuck, this is THE night of the nights. I'm alone and I jeez this is making me cringe. Girl groups everywhere and we still have to wait althought THEY SAID THEY WOULD LET US IN AT 7PM. Everyone is waiting, everyone is asking when we're finally allowed to enter the club. Update: I found a girl that is as alone as me here, no company or something. Yas! Two lonely girls lmao
After waiting for almost fifteen minutes, we're finally allowed to get in. It's small, yet pretty cool looking. There are not many people and they're playing Arctic Monkey, so far so good. The girls name (if i'm allowed to mention it) is Vera. One year older then me, probably also more clever and she has the same taste in music as me. 
The stage
Some merch from Drowners (already have the black tee since months)

20:03 - The support act (if you call them like that), The Esprits, entered the stage and they rock! Holly moly, german boys that sing in englisch rock! Who would thought that? I didn't expect them to be soo good!

20:36 - WE JUST SPOTTED MATT HITT AND YES HE IS FUCKING REAL! WE ARE SHAKING WE ARE NERVOUS AS HELL!! ERIK AND DANIEL JUST STAND THERE IN THE CLUB PRETENDING IT'S NOT A BIG THING TO JUST LITERALLY STAND THERE WTF WHERE IS JACK?????
Matt takes his time adjusting his microphone, his two guitars (beautiful pieces!) and the other tech stuff. Daniel (smooth as hell) is adjusting his drums and looks like a young Al Pacino. Jack, just casually walking on the stage is adjusting his guitar as well and making fun with Hitt himself. Both took a cigarette from a fan and couldn't look happier about it. I already know that this concert is going to be cool as hell. Erik is so calm, it's even calming me down a bit. He just stands on stage, adjusting his guitar, talking and smiling and drinking (obvs).

21:01 - Matt just opened the show with a pull of beer and saying "Prost". I guess that's the first thing people learn when they come to germany lol. They start the show with Troublemaker and damn that's a awesome opening. Drowners enjoy to play live, you just see and feel it. The energy they spread is utterly amazing. Being chamrning and funny, that's the main key to the audience, but of course they already know this. Also a big thing to point out: they play their instruments with a passion and joy and it makes you just smile. The whole show is outstanding. Matt Hitt looks so happy when he acknowledges that we, the audience, know the lyrics to Unzip you Harrington and sing loudly along. 

22:07 - Drowners are at the bar, getting some beer, chatting with the fans, being nice as hell. My first "victim of the night" is Matt Hitt. Being a fan of him for a little while is making this moment just sweet! He is calm, and his accent is literally making every person in this room swoon. Nicest, welsh person alive, if I say so myself.
Jack Ridley III in person is taller then i imagined. What a nice guy he is. I ask if I could have a picture with him. He isn't even hestiating, saying immediately "Yeah, sure!" and laying his arm around me. Even apologizing for sweating but I serisouly couldn't care less! He is in a good mood and so is Daniel Jacobs. I saw him smiling on pictures really rarely, so my thoughts are: Is he in a good mood? Is he nice? To our suprise, he's is probably the nicest guy on earth. After Vera took the picture of me and Daniel, he turns to me, signs my copy of On Desire and thanks us for buying the merch and also supporting them. I almost cried happy tears. What a sweet, humble and down to earth guy. Vera and I realized that we haven't seen Erik. He was gone so quickly that we both almost freaked out about not meeting him! So we thought "Hey let's grab another picture with Matt, since the first one wasn't the best one!" We take the snap and are happy to have survived this crazy experience! After a while we decide to go outside and finally find Erik! (Just throwing in that he is an amazing photographer!) We ask for the picture and he also says "Of course!" immediately. 

22:16 - We leave the concert with a big joy. We experienced something we never thought would happen. It was the perfect night and we keep chatting about everything we saw, filmed and took pictures of. It is an incredible feeling.

23:43 - Finally found my way back to my Hostel. All I do now is take my makeup off, get undressed and spam my friends with pictures. Who wouldn't do that?

6:00 - The morning after and I still feel incredible and also tired. But someone has to catch a bus and a train back home. After eating some vegan cookies (I spent my money on the On Desire record. Now it's not the time to judge me), brushing my teeth and making the room look less wild, I go to my station and drive to the infamous Alexanderplatz. 

8:35 - I'm in the bus, still too excited to catch up with sleep and a guy is sitting next to me so I rather don't fall asleep.

That's all folks, long post for today, but I thought it would be fun to share this experience and also to introduce you to Drowners (in case you haven't heard of them yet)! Go, give them a listen and be prepared to have a serious musicgasmn or eargasm. You also get obsessed with all of them easily, so don't blame me because I warned you! All their live performances are fun to watch and a great experience for every music lover out there. Don't even have to mention that Vera and I decided to got to every Germany concert they give in the following years. Also sorry for the horrible pictures and my face, but I was way too excited to get something decent haha.
Catching up with you next sunday, have a nice and safe week and enjoy your time!

x N

Note: Please don't remove the caption on the pictures, because I took them myself and it was a shit ton of work doing them.

2 Kommentare:

  1. I still cannot believe it !!! You met fucking Matt Hitt I almost died when you send me the pics yaaaas!!! Im still with a smile on my face !!! NEXT TIME IT HAS TO BE DAKOTA JOHNSON!!! YAAAY !!! ;)

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Dieser Kommentar wurde vom Autor entfernt.

    AntwortenLöschen